Saturday, October 12, 2013

Communication - e-mails and Twitter and texts, oh my!

For the most part, I use digital communication appropriately, making distinctions between professional and personal communications.  I tend to abbreviate more in personal texts and don’t always use complete sentences in personal emails.  When communicating with colleagues, I’m relatively informal with some, but I carefully consider grammar and structure.   If texting someone with whom I correspond infrequently or if I’m not sure I’m among their contacts, I try to identify myself.

In respect to social media, my children use some of the same platforms as I, and my friends and followers include them and their friends.  Furthermore, my husband works in an upper-administrative role.  With preteen, teenage, and professional friends and followers in mind, I work to keep my posts and comments appropriate to avoid embarrassing my family as well as friends and colleagues.

The biggest concern for students and school staff regarding digital communication is that of audience awareness.  That awareness should include more than just one’s current friends and followers lists, but also potential audience members such as schools and employers.   If I make the assumption that all my communication is under a microscope, I will be more careful in what I say and how I say it.   Students – all users – need to be aware of the scope of digital communication and how easy it is to share messages and images. 


I wonder if we as educators have somewhat given up on instructing students to communicate appropriately.  Do we see a need and find opportunities to instruct about texts, voicemails, and e-mails? Do we even require students to make distinctions between how they communicate with peers as opposed to adults?  Before we start addressing how to communicate appropriately, students must know why it is necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment